Yale Aviation has been a flying club for over 100 years. Today, membership is open to all members of the community as well as those with a connection to Yale (students, faculty, employees and families). Currently incorporated within the state of Connecticut, it provides its members with access to airplanes and flight instruction in pursuit of its mission to promote education in aviation as stated in its YA By-laws. Those interested in membership apply to and are approved by the membership committee. Rules as to operation, scheduling, billing, insurance, and instruction can be found in the Yale Aviation Regulations.
Three levels of membership are available:
- Tier-1 Membership – Tier-1 membership, based on a one-time $1,200 membership fee, offers rated pilots day-long and overnight flight privileges with N6297J and reservations of 4 hours on N55044. Monthly membership dues of $85 and the standard hourly rates for the aircraft apply. Members are encourage to fly often, and will be billed $95 of flight time monthly. Unflown flight time may be accumulated for 12 months after which no more flight time will be charged. This flight time remains on your account but stays with the club. [Tier-1 members can reserve for up to 5 days without prior approval. Trips lasting longer than that need prior approval from a club officer. In general, an aircraft can be flown anywhere in the continental United States and Canada. Flights to other destinations can also be arranged with club officer approval.]
- Tier-2 Membership – Tier-2 membership, based on a one-time $500 membership fee, offers reservations for periods of up to 4 hours on N55044 and 5 hours on N6297J (day-long or overnight takeaways are not permitted). Monthly dues of $85 and the standard hourly rates for the aircraft apply. Members are encourage to fly often, and will be billed $95 of flight time monthly. Unflown flight time may be accumulated for 12 months after which no more flight time will be charged. This flight time remains on your account but stays with the club. Rated pilots who are Tier-2 members in good standing may become Tier-1 members for an additional fee of $700. [There is a 5 hour limit on reserving airplanes for Tier-2 members.]
- Affiliate Membership – For no charge, you can become connected to the Club via Newsletters and passwords where applicable. You do not have access to the Club’s airplanes nor are you able to vote at Club meetings, but you are welcome to participate in Club functions.
Rental charges: All aircraft are rented “wet,” meaning that gas and oil are fully covered by the rental cost. Rental charges are assessed only for the time the engine is running. If a member has to pay out-of-pocket for fuel at other airports, that member will be reimbursed upon submission of a receipt to the treasurer and indication of such on our scheduling software.
Club Insurance: All Club aircraft are covered by a master insurance policy held by Yale Aviation Incorporated. The policy covers damage and liability. Currently there is a $1,000 deductible on any accident caused by a member. Insurance company rules require that each member have flown a Yale Aviation aircraft within the past ninety days to be to be covered on a current flight.
Members must be checked out in each aircraft by the Chief Pilot or Yale Aviation authorized CFI. The list of YA-authorized CFIs, plus rate and operations information, is included on the Yale Aviation Operations Overview & Rate Sheet.
Membership rates and fees are subject to change. A fuel surcharge may be added when avgas prices surge and will be reduced as they come back down.
TO BECOME A MEMBER:
- Complete an application form.
- Review and acknowledge the club's Rules & Regulations.
- Pay the fees as outlined above once your membership is accepted.