Yale Aviation members can conduct flight training one-on-one with appropriately certificated members for the Private Pilot certificate, as well as the Instrument rating, the Commercial certificate, and flight reviews. Instruction is performed in Yale Aviation aircraft under the watchful eye of our chief pilot, Charles Skelton, and arranged directly with the CFI member.
Earning a Private Pilot certificate typically requires around 70 hours of flight time in a Piper Cherokee 140, as well as ground school (which may be home study). About ¾ of this time is dual instruction, and the rest is solo flight. It is possible to complete the training in fewer hours, but conversely it sometimes takes longer. It should be noted that more training is required to operate in the busy airspace of the Northeast than might be required to fly in more rural areas. Instructor rates are in the range of $35 to $50 per hour. A student interested in earning a private license should expect to pay between $9,000 and $12,000.
You can download the Club’s application form (PDF) for viewing and printing; you may fill it out before your visit to the airport, or simply fill out a copy once you get there and see what the club is all about!
To learn more about Yale Aviation, call Charlie Skelton, Chief Pilot:
• Telephone: (203) 640-3580 (leave a message)
• E-mail: email@example.com
Flight Training Materials
A good pilot keeps learning throughout his/her life. Below are listed some websites and printed material that can be helpful both in flight training and in keeping current with your aviation knowledge:
Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Aviation for Women
• Women in Aviation International
• The Ninety-Nines, International Organization of Women Pilots
ATC Live (to listen in on tower, approach and pilot radio communications)
• ATC Live
Books and Study Guides
• Weather Flying (fourth edition), by Robert N. Buck
• The Complete Private Pilot, by Bob Gardner
• Say Again, Please – Guide to Radio Communications, by Bob Gardner
• Stick and Rudder, by Wolfgang Langewiesche
• Plane Talk, by Rod Machado (a collection of Rod’s most popular aviation stories and articles)
• Gleim Private Pilot Written Exam Study Guide
• Jeppesen Private Pilot Practical Test Study Guide